Thursday, February 08, 2007

Wild Gray Hairs - Aging Backwards

I found a gray hair today. That's not entirely accurate. I'm not sharing the whole story. The truth is, I've been finding them for over a year. Ever since I've started to lead a more stable, seemingly more stress free life. Got married. Six months later conceived. Now I have a 2 month old, a husband, a house. Living in the same location - heck the same state - for over a year. You know, rather than setting up my tent on the edge of a precipice - and falling off - lucky to always find myself on the edge of yet another ledge. A job, an apartment, new friends - my rent all came along. I simply trusted the _____. (Fill in the blank with"Universe", God, Goddess - whatever your chosen belief system, comfort factor, whatever does it for you.)

Now to get back to the gray hair-gray hairs -- its nothing the outside world would notice yet - I don't think - I have to search for them but - here's the strange thing -- see some gray hairs were traditional. Gray all the way through or just at the top. Some were literally wild gray hairs - and yes I go searching for them - fascinated or obsessed I'm not quite sure. These others, see, I would hold onto a gray end with one hand and pull out - and still holding it by its end would see...that the top was brown. (cinna-brown an old beau would call my hair) Its like my body doesn't know whether its coming or going. Am I going the right way in this aging process - or am I part of some old sci-fi story I'd read in the fourth grade (when I raided my mom's bookshelves) where the characters age backwards?

Now, just to clarify, I'm not one of those women who obsess about aging - although of course I'd like to be a vampire type and stay ageless forever - Franco - take me away! I look forward to each of my birthdays - to me the alternative is worse. If you're one of those folks who have to be hit with an obvious stick - as I always have when it comes to affairs of Love - of others being delusional when it comes to me - the alternative of course, would be death.

Now, I'm not sure I'm afraid of death either, its just that I'm having too much fun adventuring here in Life. It didn't start out that way. I found early on that I was one of those melancholy folk thru-out childhood and adolescence. Partly because I was marked, as a shy ugly duckling with her head always stuck in books - even crossing streets -developing a sort of sixth sense for cars -and if you could really see - there would be that millions of droplets of water and ice floating 'round my head - yeah - for you guys who aren't pretentious - that would be clouds. And my head in there. I do my best not to be. Pretentious. Like the other day, I got a whole stack of books - sixty at least - from craigslist - and there were a lot I wanted to read and some I just wanted on my bookshelves because they would look good. The History of Philosophy, Death of a Salesman - then I remembered that I'm a lot of things but a hypocritical, pretentious, pseudo-intellectual is not one of them. So I put them in the pile to give away. But I digress, er, digress, there's another one of those words that just aren't natural - I'm running on like a brook.

I started out quiet. No babbling brook here. Nary a cry as a baby. Ate and slept. Sort of a trend in my life. I still enjoy food - but given a choice of one or the other- I'd choose sleep. I'm just as happy dreaming of food as actually eating it. Morpheus, the Greek god of Dreams has been my lover for many years. One of romantic (read soppy) poems from my youth - Sleep enfolds in numbing warmth - soft- calls me by name - and I shall heed sleep, heed his embrace, his call.

Anyway, nothing to do with the gray hair and everything to do with having a baby and wanting to do something for myself - tomorrow I go to Aveda Belles Arte school to have a student cut and colour my hair. I like the idea of Aveda - they're organic - and use all natural plant essences. I have really long hair - so even going to the school will be expensive - but will cost an arm and leg @ the ABQ Hair Studio in Rio Rancho - or any hair salon for that matter. That and the fact that I'm female -were I a male - even with long hair - it would be a lot less at many places. At least Aveda uses organic products and are good for the environment. I want to choose an out there colour. Maybe I'll post a picture afterwards!

http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/schools/aveda_de_bellas/

No comments: